Thursday, July 24, 2008

A Poor Man's Diet

Since my arrival in London I've been living off money I brought with me from home. There is of course a big difference in cost of living and income between here and SA, so my first pay cheque, which is due tomorrow will be very welcome! Watching my funds evaporate with each travel pass I buy and each pint I drink (not to mention paying rent including a huge deposit), I have been forced to become a master in budget shopping. Tesco value products (similar to pick-n-pay's no-name brand) are my new best friends. Have a look at my little display of a week's shopping (which cost me about £6), notice anything missing? Yip, no meat... I get my protein from canned food, nuts, milk and fish. But it's not really that bad, to tell the truth, I think it's actually a very healthy diet and with all the walking we have to do here without a car, I'm actually quite fit. For the first time in years I can see my six-pack again! But for now the holiday is definately over. As famous attractions become familiar scenery and buses become a way of commuting rather than sightseeing, as housemates and colleages become friends and a homeshare house a home and with each time I say 'yeah' in stead of 'ja', I'm becoming less tourist and more Londoner.


--
Sent using a Sony Ericsson mobile phone

No comments: